Thursday, July 23, 2009

Thursday in Pretoria

My first full day in South Africa started bright and early at 1AM. Cincinnati time, at least.

Those who have made this trip tell me that the first night of sleep is difficult, and they are right. My night consisted of waking up every half-hour or so to see if the sun had risen yet. Sunrises and sets are very different here this time of year, as there is very little time for colors and changes and beauty. It is almost as if you look up one minute as the sun has somehow risen, but you don't remember when or how. It happens quickly here.

Today I visited Doxa Deo Christian school in the morning, where the principal introduced me to the student body as a special guest (gush). Then, he took me on a tour of the grounds, facilities, and classrooms.

When we entered each classroom, all of the students stood as a sign of respect. They wore nice, polished Harry-Potter style uniforms which are checked weekly, and they spoke English in my presence instead of Afrikaans. (Hmm.... Perhaps there's a lesson in there somewhere for our CHCA group. Not about languages or uniform checks, though, and certainly not about Harry Potter. I digress.)

From the school we traveled on through Mamelodi, one of the poorest areas in the region. I can still see the squatters standing by the road-side, begging for work in order not to have to return to their dilapidated living quarters which stretch on for miles and miles around the city. There are no roads within the slum areas, and so when one house is destroyed by fire or damage, everyone around it is affected as well.

Just driving by was enough for me.

We stopped then at Edendale Community School, a campus made up of mostly black students surrounded by barracks-style housing which supports and educates hundreds of what we might call "inner-city" people. It was here where I heard the familiar chant and refrain of the faithful: "We just don't have the money."

I heard this same message from several people today, always packaged in the kindest and most glancing of phrases like "budget shortage" or "re-allocation of funds" or "temporary closing" or "fundraising shortfalls." It is as if an entire army of God's people is waiting for the opportunity to do his work, but the money is still not there.

And so I walked the stretched and dried halls of Edendale, gently noting the patchwork paint and sunburnt walls. I wondered what our small group of sixteen students could do for them in such a short time in January, but the steadfast and excited reactions of hope from the mostly volunteer staff inspired me to meet them there, somehow, in hopes of making a difference.

From there we moved on to see the Union Buildings of South Africa, the government buildings where the president's office resides and Parliament is in session for six months of the year. Outside, I attempted to barter with some kind gentle-men and women for African-themed trinkets for the kiddies, but to no avail.

After lunch we headed to the Monument atop a hill in Pretoria where I learned about the history of the Afrikaners who founded South Africa in the mid-1800s. Normal South African history for any schoolboy in Pretoria, but profound and interesting for me. Had I more time and space, I will spill it for you, but I'm sure you'll want to see it for yourself one day.

Our final stop for the day was at a place called "Pop-UP"-- or People Upliftment Programme-- an organization began by Doxa Deo not long ago in order to assist the less fortunate and needy of the streets of Pretoria. Pop-UP provides full child-care for 65 children and at any given moment houses and puts to work dozens of "Learners," for whom they provide basic needs and train in basic skills and trades. They all maintain a nearly free vision, medical, and dental screening and treatment program for whoever needs it. Truly God's work.

It's been a long day. God is teaching me about myself and my culture, and how for too long we have been a "receiving" culture in a time when we have so much to give. It is my prayer that through times and trips like these we may learn and understand what it means to give our time, our resources, and our hearts and spirits to the lost and wounded souls who roam our streets, and the streets of our world.

Until tomorrow. Have a lovely evening.

0 comments: